After 2010’s Insidious and its sequel, 2013’s Insidious: Chapter 2, both raked in an impressive haul at the box office while scaring the bejeezus out of audiences, a third installment of the franchise was inevitable. The first trailer for Insidious: Chapter 3 arrived online this week, and it seems quite capable of picking up where the last, terrifying film left off.
Written and directed by franchise screenwriter Leigh Whannell, who wrote the first two installments of the series, the new film is a prequel story that unfolds before the events of Insidious and Insidious: Chapter 2 and focuses on a different family plagued by a sinister spirit. The film’s relationship to the first two Insidious movies is uncertain at this point, though it does feature Wannell, Angus Sampson, and Lin Shaye reprising their roles as a team of paranormal investigators.
This time around, an apartment building appears to be the setting for a new set of scary events, with Dermot Mulroney and Stefanie Scott playing a father and daughter whose lives are upended by otherworldly danger. The film serves as Whannell’s directorial debut.
Insidious: Chapter 3 hits theaters May 29, 2015.
- Here’s everything we know about ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ so far
- S.J. Clarkson to helm Star Trek 4, will be film franchise’s first female director
- Everything we know about ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ so far
- Here’s everything we know about ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’
- Grab your fedora: Here’s everything we know about ‘Indiana Jones 5’