Stiller and Wilson’s Saturday Night Live appearance came just days before Zoolander No. 2 hits theaters and gave the actors a chance to promote their movie in character yet again. Even though the obvious topic for the segment would have been Fashion Week, Hansel told co-host Colin Jost that they’d rather discuss “the one thing everyone wants to hear male models talk about: politics.” Well, fashion in politics. (So hot right now.)
The duo was as informed as fans of the original comedy would expect them to be. They confused Cruz with Tom Cruise and were appalled by how “he has totally let himself go.” Nonetheless, it was a prime opportunity for puns using films the actor has starred in, and the models made some great ones. “This is a real Mission: Impossible for his stylist,” quipped Derek. “Makes me want to keep my Eyes Wide Shut,” added Hansel.
There were candidates who managed to score some praise from the picky experts, though. Derek praised Clinton, saying that her style reminds him of one of his “all-time fashion icons,” none other than Kim Jong-un. They also spoke highly of Trump and talked about some of their favorites from among the mogul’s looks: Orange Mocha Crapaccino, Hot Mess, and, after Iowa, Second Place.
As exciting as it is that the Zoolander sequel is finally almost here, we’re going to miss the creative promotional stunts. Zoolander No. 2 opens on February 12.
- Watch: Ben Stiller gives hilarious interview with Vogue as Derek Zoolander
- We love us some duck face — Zoolander 2 trailer breaks record for Paramount
- Blue Steel is back! Here's the first trailer for Zoolander 2
- These new Zoolander 2 posters are even better than a piano key necktie
- Teaser for Zoolander 2 poses some really, really, ridiculously big questions