Detailed by ABC News recently, 2-year-old Bentley Toone of Tucson, Arizona came to the aid of his mother last week after she was seriously injured during an animal attack. While attempting to break up a fight between her dog and a foster dog the family was caring for, Laura Toone was bitten on the hand and nearly lost her finger during the incident. Losing blood rapidly from the dog bite, Toone called out to her children in order to get them to use her smartphone to call for an ambulance.
Recounting the harrowing event, Toone said “I begged my daughters to call 911 and they’re four and they were quite afraid to even touch the phone because it was covered in my own blood.” While the two girls stayed away from the blood-covered phone, that didn’t stop 2-year-old Bentley from getting a dish towel from the kitchen to wipe off the smartphone screen.
As Toone was getting lightheaded from the blood loss, Bentley started to operate the iPhone. While he didn’t know how to dial 911 at the time, he was familiar with using FaceTime. He immediately tried initiating a FaceTime call with his mother’s friend, Connie Guerrero. While Guerrero had received her fair share of prank calls from Bentley, she picked up anyway to greet the toddler. Speaking about the call, Guerrero said “Something inside of me just told me that I needed to answer his FaceTime. All I could see was his little forehead, and I said ‘hi Bentley’ and it was quiet for a little bit, and then I hear Laura screaming.”
At this point, Guerrero immediately called 911 in order to alert emergency workers to the situation. When the rescue workers arrived at the home, two-year-old Bentley also unlocked the door to allow them to enter the home. After Toone returned home from receiving emergency care to repair her finger, she made sure to teach her children how to dial 911 in case of any future emergencies occur at the home.