Skip to main content

You could get an RTX 3090 for $120 from a mystery box

Getting an Nvidia GeForce RTX 30 series or AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card for $120 sounds like a scam, but it was briefly possible — at least in theory. The cards, alongside many other much less expensive models, were found inside mystery boxes that were up for sale on Amazon Japan.

The mystery boxes sold out in record time, proving just how desperate many users are for a decent graphics card. The question is: Were the mystery boxes a great deal or a smart way for the seller to make money at a time when GPUs are so hard to come by?

GPU mystery boxes.
Image used with permission by copyright holder

According to the now sold-out listing on, the mystery boxes were priced at around 14,000 Japanese yen which translates to around $120. The seller described the contents of the box, promising that each would contain a graphics card, with a slim chance of winning the jackpot and getting one of the best graphics cards on the market.

The cards found inside the mystery boxes weren’t all new. The seller stated that refurbished and used cards were also included alongside the all-new RTX 30 series or Radeon 6000 series GPUs.

Get your weekly teardown of the tech behind PC gaming
Check your inbox!

It’s clear that the chance of scoring a graphics card in the rough times of the ongoing GPU shortage was enough to make people jump on the gamble, but the odds of making a profit were not all that high. In that, the seller was very transparent: They provided a full summary of the cards that could be found in the box alongside the odds of getting each kind of card.

According to the seller, the mystery box had a 16% chance of containing an Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series or Radeon RX 300 series GPU. The odds get lower as the cards get better: An 8% chance of scoring a GTX 10 series or RX 500 series card, a 4% chance of getting an RTX 20 series or RX 5000 series card, and finally, a 2% chance of winning one of the latest RTX 30 series or RX 6000 graphics cards. The remaining 70% was made up of older, presumably much cheaper cards.

A list of the odds for the mystery GPU boxes.
Image source: Amazon Image used with permission by copyright holder

Considering the current GPU prices, there was around a 30% chance of making a profit if reselling the card later on. However, this entirely depends on the state of the card, not to mention the fact that 70% of customers would still get a cheap and much older Nvidia or AMD GPU. The seller did not accept returns or exchanges, so the customers are stuck with whatever they found inside their mystery boxes.

The listing was initially found and reported on by Wccftech. There have been no reviews from actual buyers yet, so it’s impossible to tell whether they struck a good deal or were disappointed with the contents of the mystery box. However, it’s important to remember that the boxes were probably just an expensive way to gamble.

Following the old adage: “There is no such thing as a free lunch.” If the seller wasn’t making a profit, they wouldn’t offer the mystery boxes in the first place, which means that the vast majority of the customers may walk away disappointed once their boxes arrive. However clever (and also quite fun) the idea of these mystery GPU boxes may seem, the fact that the boxes sold out so quickly perfectly highlights just how badly people want to get a good GPU — and how difficult it has been for the past year or two.

Editors' Recommendations

Monica J. White
Monica is a UK-based freelance writer and self-proclaimed geek. A firm believer in the "PC building is just like expensive…
What is VSync, and why do you need it?
HP Omen 40L Gaming PC on a table connected to a monitor.

If you’ve been playing PC games for a number of years, you’ve probably heard the term ‘VSync’ tossed around once or twice. Maybe you’ve also heard of G-Sync and FreeSync. For those unaware, VSync is actually short for ‘vertical synchronization’. This is a display feature that is designed to keep your gaming screen running in sync with your computer's GPU. VSync isn’t just important for PC gaming, but it’s one of the most important criteria that goes into a good gaming display.

In this article, we’re going to take a closer look at VSync (and its related technologies) to find out exactly how it works, if you should have it enabled, and how to disable it if you don’t like the optimization. 
What is VSync technology?

Read more
How 8GB VRAM GPUs could be made viable again
Screenshot of full ray tracing in Cyberpunk 2077.

Perhaps there is still some hope for GPUs with low VRAM. According to a new patent published by Microsoft, the company worked out a method that could make ray tracing and path tracing more viable in terms of how much video memory (VRAM) they use. As of right now, without using upscaling techniques, seamless ray tracing requires the use of one of the best graphics cards—but this might finally change if this new method works out as planned.

This new patent, first spotted by Tom's Hardware, describes how Microsoft hopes to reduce the impact of ray tracing on GPU memory. It addresses the level of detail (LOD) philosophy, which is already something that's used in games but not in relation to ray tracing, and plans to use LOD to adjust ray tracing quality dynamically, thus lowering the load that the GPU -- particularly its memory -- has to bear.

Read more
AMD’s GPUs had a bigger year in 2023 than you might realize
AMD's RX 7700 XT in a test bench.

It's safe to say that 2023 turned out to be a good year for the discrete graphics cards market. According to the latest data, both AMD and Nvidia saw an increase in add-in board (AIB) GPU shipments in the final quarter of 2023, and the year-to-year gains are also massive. While Nvidia still dominates the market, AMD's share is climbing steadily, and Intel remains in the shadows.

Today's round of market insights comes from Jon Peddie Research (JPR), and it's all about discrete GPUs. According to the analyst firm, discrete GPU shipments increased by 6.8% over the fourth quarter of 2023 compared to the previous quarter. This is above the less-than-impressive 10-year average of -0.6%. The year-to-year gains are even more impressive, though, as JPR notes a 32% increase compared to the final quarter of 2022, with a total of 9.5 million GPUs shipped (as opposed to 8.9 million units at the end of 2022).

Read more