PC hardware sales ran fast and furious this season. Black Friday melted into Cyber Monday which bled into a long tail of deals that didn’t stop until the last few days before Christmas. Some systems were slashed by hundreds of dollars to prices we’ve never seen before.
That’s great if you were looking for a new PC this season, but it doesn’t mean good things for the industry overall. The best deals featured prices so low we can’t help but wonder if anyone made money from them. What does HP make off a $180 HP Stream, for example? Is it more or less than Coca-Cola makes off a Big Gulp?
The hope, obviously, is that such sales will renew interest the PC platform, which is perhaps why Microsoft’s own store ran deep discounts on a huge selection of notebooks and desktops. Windows 10 is still a ways off. So did you benefit from the fire sale and find a new computer under your tree?
Remember to leave a comment in addition to your vote. We’ll feature outstanding comments in next week’s poll.
Last week’s results
The subject of last week’s poll was the effect of corporate hacking. We wanted to know who had been hurt by it, and how.
- Five years on, Microsoft’s Surface has made your PC better
- Facebook ‘Did You Know’ tool helps you get to know your friends better
- Awesome tech you can’t buy yet: A clip for your dip and a toilet for your cat
- MicroLED vs. OLED: Two hot TV technologies battle for your dollars
- The space station is about as sanitary as your run-of-the-mill bachelor pad