Walk into nearly any bar or pub in the country and what are you most likely to see? Aside from your standard-issue bartender, the correct answer is a colorfully felted billiards table. Be it the coin-operated variety that tends to work roughly 75 percent of the time or one from the free pocket class, you’re certain to see one while out enjoying an ice-cold (adult) beverage of choice. Regardless of its payment model, most (if not all) of these tavern tables typically boast six holes: four corner pockets and two smack dab in the middle of each long side. But have you ever seen a one-pocket pool table?
Officially dubbed an elliptical pool table, this lesser-known billiards variety isn’t just a skill game for those looking for a challenge but is also an incredibly easy weekend project you can build entirely on your own. Thanks to a comprehensive understanding of ellipses, and some handy work with power tools, an Instructables user that goes by the name OXANBC_WPDHNW devised an incredibly brilliant way to construct one of these unique tables in a matter of hours.
To help you get a head start on building your own elliptical pool table, we pieced together all the tools, materials, and otherwise required for construction. As is the case with any project involving a table saw or circular saw, we highly recommend having a moderate to advanced understanding of how to use such machinery. Also, it doesn’t hurt to put on a pair of safety goggles when operating said machinery; always better to be safe than sorry. With that said, here’s everything you’ll need before starting:
- Table saw or circular saw
- Disc sander
- Cue stick and pool balls
- At least 1,600 square inches of medium-density fibreboard (1.5″ thick)
- 124″ of foam, rubber, or wood siding
- 124″ of vinyl wall base molding
- Box of 17-gauge 3/4″ stainless steel wire nails
- Small bag of 2″ screws
After gathering the necessary tools and materials, it’s now time to start constructing your own unique elliptical pool table. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions laid out by Instructables user OXANBC_WPDHNW, and before long, you’ll wonder why you ever bothered playing pool with a six-hole billiards table. Happy building!
The entire step-by-step walkthrough for building an elliptical pool table can be found here.
- Taco Bell’s Xbox Game Pass-style pass will put a taco in your belly daily for $10 a month
- Flippy gets fired: Burger bot shut down after one day on the job
- Swing and a miss: 6 ambitious tech ventures that failed miserably
- Weekend Workshop: Keep on rocking off the grid with a DIY solar Bluetooth speaker
- Weekend Workshop: Electrify your meat with this DIY hot dog cooker