Plenty of world premieres graced the stage of the 2014 Game Awards, but Before managed to stand out. From Facepunch Studios, the developer founded by Garry’s Mod creator Garry Newman, Before is a game of prehistoric survival conceived in the mind of Bill Lowe.
The trailer reveals a heavily stylized world, like a mix between the cel-shaded vibe of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and the blocky charm of Minecraft. Much like Facepunch’s Rust, Before appears to be about finding ways to survive in an open world filled with both resources and danger. This early look at the game highlights an array of environments and wildlife, and also seems to emphasize the game’s focus on survival at the tribe level.
There’s no release date set for Before, but it’ll be coming to Linux, Mac, and Windows whenever it does arrive. You can find more details on the game’s official website.
- ‘Metal Gear Survive’ beginner’s guide
- ‘H1Z1’ finally leaves early access alongside new ‘Auto Royale’ mode
- ‘Metal Gear Survive’ is now available, and early impressions are mixed
- ‘The Evil Within 2’ can now be played as a first-person survival horror game
- ‘State of Decay 2’ spreads its infection to Xbox One and PC this May