Here’s three minutes of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. What more information do you really need? There are elves and orcs. Giant spiders. Mountains and mountains of gold, with a great dragon buried beneath. And of course, all the sweeping shots of Middle-earth you could ask for. Sure, it’s technically New Zealand, but haven’t we as a global community come to recognize by now that New Zealand is basically just a real-life recreation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy landscape?
The Desolation of Smaug hits theaters on December 13, 2013. Director and co-writer Peter Jackson delivered an uneven first chapter in 2012’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, with many fans being split on it. The film reintroduced the universe though, and got some much needed scene-setting out of the way. With our stalwart band of dwarves (plus one hobbit) now headed into the elves’ domain of Mirkwood, where giant spiders roam and rushing waters carry loose barrels along swiftly, the adventure promises to speed up. This trailer is certainly full of geektastic peeks at what is to come. See for yourself below.
- After rewarding ‘The Punisher’ with a second season, Marvel casts three roles
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ season 2: Everything we know so far
- Your first spoiler-free peek at ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’s dark second season
- ‘The Sims Mobile’ puts a fun, millennial spin on a popular classic
- Ubisoft’s open-world racer ‘The Crew 2’ adds planes and boats, debuts in June