Just Cause 3 is confirmed, and Avalanche Studios is set to reveal the first details of its latest open world adventure — set this time in a fictional Mediterranean archipelago — in the latest issue of Game Informer. It’s coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and unspecified PC platforms (presumably Windows) sometime in 2015.
Just Cause 2 earned the adoration of many fans in 2010 because of its lighthearted approach to open world action gameplay. In particular, the parachute and grapple that could link nearly any imaginable combination of people and objects, combined with a strong and flexible physics engine, made the game into a madcap, explosive playground. The new game brings those same ideas back, while also adding a wingsuit to the mix.
Just Cause 3 is announced in a world that is increasingly rife with online gaming. The series hasn’t ever allowed players to connect before, but in 2013, a popular multiplayer mod for Steam brought Just Cause 2 back onto many people’s radars by ratcheting up the chaos exponentially with more players.
“That completely came out of left field,” studio co-founder Christofer Sundberg told Digital Trends in an interview following the mod’s release. “I think it’s fantastic. It has really helped the IP and it’s super inspiring for the future of that franchise.”
- Everyone is going to start playing MMOs again, whether they realize it or not
- Wage war on a budget with 10 fun and free first-person shooters for PC and Mac
- These are the top 40 games we’re looking forward to in 2018
- The 20 best Xbox One games you can play right now
- Bungie clarifies when new weapons will release in ‘Destiny 2’