If you’ve been marking off the days until Mighty No. 9‘s September release, you might want to get a new pen. Initially thought to only be a rumor, developer Comcept has said that the game will be delayed to 2016.
Comcept confirmed the delay in a message to Kickstarter backers, which was shared in a post on NeoGAF. While the statement makes it clear that Mighty No. 9 isn’t coming out this year, it doesn’t provide a concrete date for when it will come out.
“We are unable to confirm a final release date at this time, however we will be aiming for a release in Q1 2016,” the developer writes. “Once a solid release date is set, we will announce it immediately to our backers and fans.”
This isn’t the first time that Mighty No. 9 has been delayed. Initially scheduled for an April 2015, the game was pushed back to a September 15 launch. Comcept says the new delay is necessary in order to fix bugs in the game’s online mode.
“As we have communicated in the updates to our backers, all of the core content for the game is developed and in a complete state,” the developer writes. “However, there are still bugs and issues pertaining to the online features that are included in the game. These bugs and issues have a direct affect on enjoyment of the game, so a decision was made to work these issues out before release.”
The sheer amount of platforms Mighty No. 9 is coming to might be the reason for the amount of time needed to fix the bugs. The game is coming to PC, Mac, and Linux in addition the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and PlayStation Vita.
Mighty No. 9 is the brainchild of Mega Man series creator and Comcept head Keiji Inafune. A spiritual successor to the Mega Man games, what we’ve seen of the game so far looks promising, but we’ll have to wait until 2016 to see the complete package holds up.
This hasn’t been a great week for Inafune. Yesterday we reported that the Kickstarter for Red Ash, a spiritual successor to the Mega Man Legends series, had failed to meet its funding goal. Publisher Fuze Entertainment has picked up the game, so its prologue Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident, is currently in development for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- ‘Dark Souls Remastered’ delays its Switch port, will now arrive this summer
- ‘Shenmue III’ delayed, Shen-moves to a 2019 release window
- Facebook waits to release smart speaker amid data privacy concerns
- Take-Two says ‘Red Dead Redemption 2’ will definitely not be delayed again
- 4A Games’ post-apocalyptic ‘Metro Exodus’ delayed to next year