Starting now, Roku users who are used to getting Amazon’s Alexa to do their bidding can now get the voice assistant to control their Roku streaming devices, or Roku TVs via the new Roku Skill. Alexa joins Google Assistant as the second major voice platform that can control a Roku, in addition to Roku’s own proprietary voice command system available on select Roku devices. Both require a current-generation Roku device or Roku TV. For now, they are only available to U.S.-based users.
According to the company’s press release, “Roku users with Alexa-enabled devices — including Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Echo Spot and Echo Plus — can pause a show, launch a streaming channel, and search for entertainment by simply saying things like, ‘Alexa, find comedies on Roku,’ ‘Alexa, pause
One glaring omission from both voice assistants, however, is the ability to control Netflix: Neither Alexa nor Google Assistant can launch or access Netflix content on a Roku device.
For the new Alexa skill to work, Roku users will need to be on
Using Alexa or Google Assistant may seem a little redundant, given that all of the compatible Roku devices can already be controlled via
Roku hasn’t handed over all of the voice keys to its castle just yet. There are still some activities that can only be carried out via
- Interact with music services: “play classical music,” “play The Herd with Colin Cowherd on iHeartRadio,” or, “play Carrie Underwood.”
- Launch or hide the smart guide if you have a Roku TV, e.g.“show me the smart guide,” or “hide the smart guide.”
- Interact with streaming services: “thumbs up/down,” “like/dislike,” and “what song is this?”
And of course, Roku’s voice commands are still the only way to get to Netflix without mashing buttons: “Start Netflix.”
Updated March 8, 2019: Corrected the commands that are only available via the Roku remote or app.
- The best Alexa skills to use on your Amazon Echo in 2023
- Roundup of pets messing with Google and Alexa
- Can your smart home save you money on homeowners insurance?
- NordicTrack iSelect dumbbells let you customize your workout with Alexa
- How to talk to Santa with Alexa and Google Assistant