From friends and families. Having a blue day? Alexa can even tell you a corny joke to turn that frown upside down.to thermostats to wearables, Amazon and its voice assistant offspring, Alexa, are fun and interactive smart tools that keep us up to date and connected with our favorite news, sports, music, podcasts, games, and even our
Amazon’s assistant has a lot to offer, sure, but one thing that can be incredibly annoying about Alexa is when she lights up and starts listening for a command when you weren’t actually talking to her. This can happen when a commercial about Alexa comes on TV or when someone talks about their friend Alexis. Alexa sometimes interprets those everyday situations as commands. One way to avoid this is by changing Alexa’s name.
Here’s how to change Alexa’s wake word
- Step 1: Open the Alexa app.
- Step 2: Click on Devices in the bottom right corner. The button looks like a little house.
- Step 3: Scroll over and select All Devices to get a list of all of your Alexa-enabled devices and smart home products.
- Step 4: Select your Echo device.
- Step 5: Scroll down and select Wake Word.
- Step 6: Change your wake word to either Amazon, Echo, or Computer. The new name for Alexa will only work on this individual Echo device. If you want to change Alexa’s name on any of your other Echo devices, press the back button, select on any of your other Echo devices, and repeat the process.
You can also change Alexa’s name by simply asking, “Alexa, can you change your name?” or “Alexa, can you change your wake word?” Alexa will respond by saying, “I can help you change the wake word for this device. Would you like to do that now?” She’ll then tell you the different options for names you can call her, and then she’ll ask you to choose one of the options. The change takes effect in a few minutes.
Here’s how to get Alexa to call you a different name
In addition to (or instead of) changing Alexa’s name, you might want Alexa to call you a shortened version of your name or a nickname everyone calls you. Maybe your friends call you Rob instead of Robert, for instance. Perhaps you just want Alexa to call you Captain, Princess, or any other fun name you can come up with. Here’s how you can get Alexa to call you a different name.
- Step 1: Open the Alexa app.
- Step 2: Select Communicate. It’s located on the bottom of the screen — the icon looks like a chat bubble.
- Step 3: Select the little person icon in the upper right corner to go into your profile.
- Step 4: Click on where you see your name. Underneath, it says My Communication Settings.
- Step 5: Click on Edit in the upper right corner.
- Step 6: Change your first name to whatever you’d like.
Keep in mind this change will affect other aspects of your Alexa experience. Let’s say you change your name from Erika to Potato. This change will not only make Alexa call you Potato, but it will also say your messages to other Echo users are from Potato instead of from Erika. So, if you’re going to change what Alexa calls you, make sure you’re changing your name to something you’re comfortable having as your public nickname. Also, after you change your name, if you ask Alexa, “What’s my name?” she will say the new name, but she’ll indicate the name on the account as well. For example, she’ll say, “I’m talking to Potato. This is Erika’s account.”
- How to hear and delete Alexa conversations
- How to secure your Alexa device
- What exactly is Alexa? Where does she come from? How does she work?
- The most common Echo Dot problems, and how to fix them
- Amazon Echo tips and tricks