Perhaps eager to see its name in headlines which don’t include the words “lawsuit,” “Viacom,” or “billion,” online video sharing site YouTube announced today its first-ever YouTube Video Awards to recognize the favoriet and most creative clips available on the service, as decided by YouTube’s massive user community.
Nominees will be offered in a series of categories collected together under a YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/YTAwards—it’s not yet active as of this writing); nominees will be collected from YouTube’s most popular videos, and community members will be able to browse each list and rank nominees in order from favorite to least favorite. Video categories will include:
- Most Creative—Innovative And Cutting Edge Video
- Most Inspirational—Things That Make You Think Or Feel
- Best Series—The Best In Serial Entertainment
- Best Comedy—They Had Us In Stitches
- Musician Of The Year—Celebrating YouTube’s Home-Grown Musical Talent
- Best Commentary—The Bloggers Who Caught Our Attention
- Most Adorable Video Ever—So Cute It Hurts
Voting will open Monday March 19, 2007, and run through March 23, 2007. Winners will be announced March 25, and will receive a trophy to commemorate their achievement.
“Our community was at the forefront of the most creative and popular user-generated content in 2006,” said Mia Quagliarello, YouTube’s director of programming for YouTube. “On a daily basis, new videos were created, uploaded, discovered and popularized through the site. We want to honor and celebrate the individuals who helped foster the community through their creativity. We hope that this recognition will continue to inspire users to create content that entertains and informs.”
- From pranksters to pop stars, these are the 10 biggest YouTube channels
- Google launches YouTube Studio to help video creators nab more views
- What is YouTube Red? What you get, how it works, and how much it costs
- Listening to one artist on YouTube could get simpler with Official Artist Channels
- How to download music from YouTube