The Google Pixel 6a is here after being announced at Google I/O in May. It is unusual to see new smartphones take over 60 days to hit the shelves after being announced. However, that is the strategy Google has adopted.
But with the disappearing charging bricks from new smartphone boxes, you are likely wondering if the Pixel 6a comes with a charger. Was the company generous enough to include a fast charger with a midrange device when its flagship phones already miss out on the accessory?
The straightforward answer is no. The Google
- The phone
- USB-C-to-C cable
- USB-A-to-C adapter
- SIM tool
When Google removed the charger from its Pixel 6 and 6 Pro, it said that most people already have a USB-C charging adapter, so there was no need to include one with its phones. While other companies like Apple and Samsung made similar arguments, there’s no arguing that
All Pixels all the time
- Pixel 6 vs. Pixel 6a camera showdown
- Google Pixel Buds Pro review
- Google Pixel Buds Pro vs. Apple AirPods Pro
Theoretically, not including chargers with new smartphones leads to lesser e-waste, leading to a positive impact on the environment. However, with fast-charging tech going mainstream, older chargers are unlikely to be able to charge your new
As a result, the greenhouse emissions of producing a charger are transferred from one company to the other. Apple, Google, and Samsung might reduce their greenhouse emissions, but on a larger scale, accessory-making companies are still producing those chargers. That’s not to say there isn’t any environmental benefit for removing chargers, but it’s probably not as grand as some companies want you to believe.
Google not including a charging brick with its new
- The best smart notebooks in 2023: 8 picks you need to check out
- Best microSD cards in 2023: top picks for your computer, camera, or drone
- The best iPhone car mounts in 2023: top 10 best ones you can buy
- Samsung Galaxy S23: release date, specs, price, rumors, and news
- This is the OnePlus Pad — the OnePlus tablet we’ve waited years for