An iconic movie’s anniversary is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.
In the case of director Robert Zemeckis’ 1994 film Forrest Gump, the Oscar-winning movie’s 20th anniversary will be marked by a one-week re-release in IMAX theaters.
“As a ground-breaking achievement in both cinematography and visual effects for its time, Forrest Gump has become a modern American movie classic,” said Greg Foster, Senior Executive Vice President of IMAX Corp. and CEO of IMAX Entertainment, in a statement accompanying the announcement. “We’re thrilled to once again collaborate with our longtime friends and partners Bob Zemeckis, Tom Hanks, and Paramount. This film deserves a platform like The IMAX Experience to help make its 20th anniversary one to remember.”
The film, which earned Oscars for both Zemeckis and leading man Tom Hanks, will be digitally remastered for its IMAX run, which will start September 5 in various theaters around the country. The movie will also be re-released in a “Diamond Luxe” Blu-ray edition produced for its anniversary.
“On behalf of the entire Forrest Gump family, it is with great pleasure and pride that we bring Forrest Gump back to the big screen using the latest technology for the ultimate IMAX experience,” said producer Wendy Finerman.
- 10 fictional products from movies and TV that fans willed into existence
- Read these 15 epic science fiction books before they’re made into movies
- Don’t fight, guys! Netflix v Spielberg and the battle for the future of film
- Avengers: Endgame: Everything we know about the Infinity War sequel
- Box-office bosses: The highest-grossing movies of all time for each month