Directed by Chris Columbus (the filmmaker who gave the world Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire, among other classic ’80s and ’90s comedies), Pixels casts James as U.S. President Will Cooper, who must unite some of the greatest old-school arcade gamers — which include his childhood best friend (Sandler) — in order to stop the aliens’ pixelated attack on the planet. The cast also includes Michelle Monaghan and Brian Cox.
The movie is based on a short film of the same name created by Patrick Jean, which you can watch below:
While watching the trailer, you should keep an eye out for a hidden message (around the 1:38 mark) promoting the free tie-in game DojoQuest.
Pixels hits theaters July 24.
- The best comedies on Netflix right now (January 2019)
- Sega Genesis classics now playable on Amazon Fire TV, no retro console required
- The best Dolby Atmos movies, from ‘Ready Player One’ to ‘Jumanji’
- From ‘Avengers: Endgame’ to ‘Episode IX’: The most anticipated movies of 2019
- NES and Famicom join forces on new mini console, mini arcade cabinets tag along