Springsteen, the E Street Band, SNL’s Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, and McCartney finished off last night’s special with the holiday classic. The former Beatle appeared unannounced a few seconds into the rendition, sleigh bells in hand. Springsteen and McCartney then belted out the chorus before the band came in to amp up the celebration. Soon after, many more SNL members clad in Santa Claus hats joined in onstage.
Springsteen and McCartney haven’t been onstage together since a 2012 show in London, according to Billboard, and it was cut short because it went past curfew. Last night’s performance was also regrettably cut short, with the credits beginning to run before the end of the song. Springsteen’s performance of the previously unreleased Meet Me in the City was its live premiere.
The holiday-themed show was the last of the year for Saturday Night Live, which has invited Adele, Sia, Miley Cyrus, The Weeknd, Demi Lovato, Chance the Rapper, and others as musical guests this fall. Star Wars star Adam Driver is scheduled to host 2016’s first episode on January 16. Musical guests for that show have not yet been announced.
Bruce Springsteen amd the E Street Band will kick off The River Tour just after the new year on January 16 in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Watch this young Paul McCartney deepfake turn into Beck
- Finally in surround after 50 years, ‘Sgt. Pepper’ is getting better all the time
- Even at 73, Paul McCartney still brought me to tears
- Paul McCartney to release new four-record compilation of post-Beatles hits
- Paul McCartney added last-minute to cast of latest Pirates of the Caribbean film