For years, IMAX has presented audiences with cinematic experiences that were larger than life. But now, instead of just showing you enormous dinosaurs on some of the biggest screens in the world, IMAX wants you to walk alongside them. That is, if the firm can get their ambitious virtual reality project off the ground. And now that it has raised $50 million to do just that, it looks like your next IMAX experience may be out of this world — or at least, this reality.
Late last week, IMAX announced that it had “completed the first phase of a $50 million virtual reality fund between IMAX and other strategic investors to help finance the creation of at least 25 interactive VR content experiences over the next three years for use across all VR platforms including in IMAX VR centers.” That means that at some point in the near future, we’ll be able to enjoy higher-quality VR content on really, really giant screens.
IMAX’s partners in its ambitious VR endeavors, which will ultimately focus on “premium, event-style productions,” include such industry heavyweights as Acer, Creative Artists Agency, China Media Capital, WPP, and The Raine Group.
- Looking for some mobile VR fun? Here are the top 10 Google Daydream apps, games
- Free Pluto VR chat and messaging app for gamers enters Early Access on Steam
- The Teslasuit simulates full-body touch in VR by zapping your nerves
- Watch 2018 Winter Olympics events in virtual reality thanks to NBC and Intel
- These are the 20 best HTC Vive games available today