The arms race for gaming subscription services continue with Sony’s announcement that PlayStation Plus subscribers will be granted access to two free Instant Game Collection offerings per month apiece on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita, respectively. Starting in June, two games will go up on the first Tuesday of the month and remain free to download for subscribers until the first Tuesday of the following month, when two new games will take their place. Any downloaded games are the user’s to keep (until/unless their PS Plus subscription ends).
June’s first round of games comprise:
- Trine 2: Complete Story – A lush puzzle platformer where you need to mix and match the powers of three fantasy tropes (warrior, rogue, wizard) to progress.
- PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate – A twin-stick shooter that mixes action, puzzle-solving, and exploration with a healthy dose of advanced fluid mechanics simulation.
- NBA 2K14 – The same, annually-iterated basketball game you know and love. If you don’t know it at this point, you almost certainly don’t care.
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time – Colorful, anthropomorphic animals, time travel, and a bit of 3D stealth platforming, all in the spirit of PS1 classics like Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot.
- Terraria – Dig, explore, craft, build, fight–it’s Minecraft, but as if it it were a side-scrolling RPG for your SNES.
- Mutant Mudds Deluxe – Retro, pixellated platformer for the nostalgic crowd with the added twist of letting you jump between the foreground and the background, like some kind of crazy “third” dimension.