PlayStation product manager, Emmanuel Orssaud, announced the news on the Official PlayStation blog.
The app will be available to download for iPhone and iPod Touch with OS 4 and greater. It will also run on Android phones running OS 1.6 and greater. The first version (1.0) will be available in the following countries: UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and The Netherlands. No news on when this will be available for the United States.
The app is a free download and will include a variety of features in version 1.0 including:
- a variety of social features that allow you to check out your PlayStation Network trophies and keep up to date with your friends’ games and online status.
- enhanced discovery all the latest games, news and hardware for your PlayStation 3, PSP and PlayStation 2.
- announcements straight from the European PlayStation blog
- viral features to share your favorite products or news with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or via e-mail.
Future version will incorporate multiple languages and include the ability for players to add comments onto the PlayStation blog.
We’ll keep watching this story as it develops. Social gaming is a booming business and PlayStation has yet to compete in the mobile arena. Their foray into the market will likely be great news to legions of gaming fans looking to incorporate their console gaming on the PlayStation to their phones.
- ‘My PlayStation’ gives you more ways to manage your PSN profile
- These 100 best iPhone apps will turn your phone into a jack-of-all-trades
- Sorry kid, access denied: Our favorite, free parental control software
- Google’s slimmed-down YouTube Go app is coming to more than 130 countries
- Everything you need to know about the Essential PH-1 phone