Of course, the Internet wasn’t so sure. And to be fair, the dog-like robots are a bit frightening. Large and, well, headless, these machines seem to hearken more to the Thestrals (the skeletal winged horses visible only to those who’ve witnessed death) of Harry Potter’s universe than the adorable reindeer that are supposed to transport jolly Saint Nick to and from the North Pole.
This may be partly due to the fact that the so-called robotic reindeer are not reindeer after all, but rather slightly revised versions of Spot, a giant dog capable pulling pretty impressive loads for extended periods of time. Boston Dynamics simply decorated their canine with reindeer antlers and somewhat festive garb and sent them out with Ms. Santa. Needless to say, no one was really fooled.
— Kurt W (@Writerboss) December 24, 2015
In any case, it’s a clever way to put tech front and center even in the midst of a traditional holiday season. So creepy or not, Boston Dynamics, keep at it. I’m just waiting for a robotic Santa to deliver all the gifts.
- Here’s how to track Santa on his busiest night of the year
- The best Christmas apps for 2019
- Cows in VR goggles and 14 other stories that gave us a giggle in 2019
- Digital Trends Live: Alexa manages meds, Ford versus Tesla, robot police dogs
- The most anticipated games of 2020