First announced at Xbox’s 2021 Games Show, Avowed is a new action RPG from Obsidian. We’ve heard next to nothing about it over the past two years, but it seemed like it was going to be one of Xbox’s next big exclusives after Starfield. That appears to be the case, as the game will headline Xbox’s 2024 lineup.
We got our closest look at the game yet during the presentation thanks to a gameplay trailer. While it didn’t give a full sense of how the game plays, we got to see a lot of magic action. We see some diverse spellcasting, with the main character shooting balls of fire and creating purple voids. There’s also a fair amount of hack-and-slash gameplay, as characters slash with a sword with one hand and shoot magic with another. Another shot shows them dual-wielding guns, so it seems like it supports a wide range of playstyles.
We got a good glimpse at its world and a little story setup too. The most exciting part of the trailer, though, is when we see the main character squaring off against some form of mutated bear.
We don’t know too much about its specific systems otherwise. The tagline “forge your destiny” could imply that we can expect some kind of crafting element, but we likely won’t see more until later this year at the earliest.
- Every summer 2023 gaming showcase: full schedule of live streams
- Overwatch 2’s story missions are the light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel
- Everything announced at Annapurna Interactive Showcase 2023: Blade Runner, Stray on Xbox, and more
- Payday 3 plays great, but that’s not the biggest challenge this shooter faces
- I rated this summer’s biggest gaming showcases. This was the best one