The PlayStation 2 is somewhat of a forgotten console, especially since there have been three upgraded consoles since then. However, if you’ve been gaming for a long time, you still remember what this retro console was like.
Two decades later, there are still plenty of PS2 games that you can purchase if you’re interested in enjoying a little bit of nostalgia or taking a break from the PS4 and PS5 hype.
It’s no surprise that the PS2 is among the most successful video game consoles of all time, moving a whopping 158 million units worldwide. The PS2’s unprecedented success also meant that new games came out in droves. There were hundreds of legitimately good games for PS2, which makes narrowing that list down to the absolute essentials a daunting task. We’ve tried to do just that here. Separated by genre, here are our picks for the best PS2 games of all time.
- Monster Hunter Rise is coming to PlayStation and Xbox, minus cross-platform saves
- All cross-platform games (PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)
- Xbox Game Pass adds Lego Star Wars and a former Switch console exclusive
- You can win cash with PlayStation’s new tournament feature. Here’s how to sign up
- Starship Troopers: Extermination turns sci-fi satire into a co-op shooter