Nintendo isn’t known for embracing shooters, but it announced one of its own during its digital presentation at E3 2014. Splatoon a shooter with a distinct Nintendo-style, arming gamers with paintball guns and challenging them to cover their environment in paint.
Splatoon is a multiplayer focused title, tossing players into a 4v4 arena to do their combat. Players will take control of half-human, half-squid characters who are capable of covering the world with paint in various ways. The goal of the game is to spread your team’s color over more of the world than your opponents, a game style that is reminiscent to the graffiti mode in the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series.
Visually, the game bright and colorful, as one would expect a paint-themed game to be. A third-person camera shows off the impressive world and quirky characters. The human side of the characters spread the paint, while the squid side moves rapidly through the paint laid by teammates, allowing players to move up walls and plan attacks and ambushes.
Splatoon is expected for release sometime in 2015.
- Pick up these 7 great Switch games before Nintendo’s big eShop sale ends
- Our 4 biggest predictions for the June Nintendo Direct Mini
- Nintendo Direct Mini June 2022: How to watch and what to expect
- The best party games for Nintendo Switch
- The best upcoming Nintendo Switch games