Following a recent trend among live TV streaming services like AT&T TV Now and Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV has just announced it will raise the price of all of its subscription options by $5 each per month. That means Sling Orange and Sling Blue are now $30 per month each instead of $25, and the combo Sling Orange and Blue package is $45 per month instead of $40.
These price changes take effect immediately for new Sling TV customers, but existing subscribers won’t feel the pinch until they get their first bill after January 22, according to a company news release. The reason for the price increase is the same one we’ve been given by other players that have also bumped their rates: The price of programming has increased, and therefore Sling’s prices are now going up.
Earlier this year, Sony announced that it would shutter its PlayStation Vue service in January 2020 over similar programming pricing challenges.
A $5 increase is annoying, especially as it’s a 20% increase over the previous pricing for individual Orange and Blue packages. Sling is attempting to offset the extra cash outlay by adding channels and improving features. It points out that customers who haven’t already signed up for its Cloud DVR package can now get 10 hours of Cloud DVR storage for free. It has rebranded its paid DVR service as Cloud DVR Plus, but the price ($5 per month) and the amount of storage (50 hours) remain the same.
Significantly, from a DVR point of view, what you can record and how you can view recordings has also improved. Customers can now record all live linear channels, including Disney and ESPN channels, and use player controls on any recorded content, with the ability to fast-forward through ads. Almost every channel is now compatible with these DVR services.
If you’re a Sling Blue subscriber, you now get Fox News, MSNBC, and HLN. Other changes include:
- Fox Business Network is now part of Sling Blue News Extra.
- Big Ten Network (BTN) will launch on Sling TV ahead of the 2020-21 college football season.
- FXM will be added to Sling Blue Hollywood Extra, which will also add FXX including the linear feed.
- Nat Geo Wild is joining Sling Blue Heartland Extra and will include the linear feed.
Despite the rate increases, Sling TV remains one of the most flexible and affordable ways to cut the cord. However, if you’re feeling the need to look at your other choices, here’s our roundup of the best live TV streaming services.
- Best Cyber Monday Phone Deals 2021: Early offers today
- Best Cyber Monday Kindle Deals 2021: Early offers today
- Best Cyber Monday Soundbar Deals 2021: Early offers today
- Best Cyber Monday Projector Deals 2021: Early offers today
- Best Cyber Monday TV Deals 2021: Early offers you can shop now