A new survey from the Pew Internet & American Life Project finds that, on a typical day, nearly one third of American Internet users go online just for fun rather than for some specific purpose like checking email, reading news, or searching for information.
The survey of 1,931 U.S. Internet users was conducted in December 2005, and found 30 percent of respondents went online for fun or for no particular purpose, up significantly from 21 percent in a November 2004 survey. In real numbers, the survey’s findings would indicate some 40 million Americans are surfing for fun at any given time, compared to 25 million a year ago. The findings indicate that going online is becoming an increasingly popular way to spend free time: more people specifically go online for only two other activities
- The 87 best movies on HBO Max right now
- The best shows to binge-watch on Netflix right now
- The 98 best movies on Hulu right now
- The 51 best movies on Amazon Prime Video right now
- The 56 best shows on Hulu right now