Skip to main content

iPhone 6: Foxconn embarks on ‘largest single hiring spree’ for assembly lines

Apple iPhone 6 concept
iPhone 6 concept design. Image used with permission by copyright holder

The iPhone 6 rumor stew has been bubbling away nicely in recent months, though as the weeks roll by and the expected launch of a new Apple handset draws ever closer, it seems the pot is on the verge of transforming from a gentle simmer to a raging boil.

The latest news out of Asia is that Taiwan-based Foxconn is in the middle of recruiting more than 100,000 people to help assemble the iPhone 6, described in one report as the manufacturer’s “largest single hiring spree” ever. 

Taiwan’s Economic Daily News (via Reuters) said Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai, will produce 70 percent of the new phones, while Pegatron, another Taiwan-based electronics manufacturer with factories in China, will take care of the remaining 30 percent.

The Daily News report also claimed Pegatron is preparing to boost the number of employees at one of its production plants by up to a third to cope with the extra work.

The timing of the pair’s plans to expand their workforces appears to back up what many believe – that Apple will launch its new, 4.7-inch iPhone later this year, in the fall.

An even larger device, with a display thought to be 5.5 inches, is also said to be in the pipeline, though while some commentators believe it could hit the market at the same time as the 4.7-inch version, others point to a release several months later.

With big-screen smartphones becoming increasingly popular, Apple’s current iPhone is, in the eyes of many consumers, looking dated. The iPhone 6 looks set to change all that, with Tim Cook and co. hoping the lure of a larger model will be enough to tempt existing iPhone owners into upgrading to its latest device and at the same time persuade Android users to consider making the switch. 

For all the latest updates on what we might expect to see with the iPhone 6 – including details on design, features, pricing, and more – be sure to check out DT’s special page on the upcoming device here.

Editors' Recommendations

Trevor Mogg
Contributing Editor
Not so many moons ago, Trevor moved from one tea-loving island nation that drives on the left (Britain) to another (Japan)…
3 reasons why I’ll actually use Anker’s new iPhone power bank
A person holding the Anker MagGo Power Bank.

Power banks are a necessary evil, and even if you don’t consider yourself a “power user” who's likely to drain a phone’s battery in less than a day, there will be times when one comes in handy. And when I am forced to carry one, I want it to be as helpful and versatile as possible.

I’ve been trying Anker’s MagGo Power Bank 10K -- meaning it has a 10,000mAh cell inside it -- and there are three reasons why I'm OK with it taking up valuable space in my bag.
It has a screen on it

Read more
Here’s how Apple could change your iPhone forever
An iPhone 15 Pro Max laying on its back, showing its home screen.

Over the past few months, Apple has released a steady stream of research papers detailing its work with generative AI. So far, Apple has been tight-lipped about what exactly is cooking in its research labs, while rumors circulate that Apple is in talks with Google to license its Gemini AI for iPhones.

But there have been a couple of teasers of what we can expect. In February, an Apple research paper detailed an open-source model called MLLM-Guided Image Editing (MGIE) that is capable of media editing using natural language instructions from users. Now, another research paper on Ferret UI has sent the AI community into a frenzy.

Read more
There’s a big problem with the iPhone’s Photos app
The Apple iPhone 15 Plus's gallery app.

While my primary device these days continues to be my iPhone 15 Pro, I’ve dabbled with plenty of Android phones since I’ve been here at Digital Trends. One of my favorite brands of phone has been the Google Pixel because of its strong suite of photo-editing tools and good camera hardware.

Google first added the Magic Eraser capability with the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, which is a tool I love using. Then, with the Pixel 8 series, Google added the Magic Editor, which uses generative AI to make edits that wouldn’t be possible otherwise. There are also tools like Photo Unblur, which is great for old photographs and enhancing images that were captured with low-quality sensors.

Read more