This new animated short created by College Humor explores the likely result of Marty and Doc traveling to the 2015 we’re living in right now, and let’s just say it gets a little, well … dark.
In the short, Marty and Doc arrive in 2015 and discover that no, we haven’t replaced fossil fuels with garbage-powered “Mr. Fusion” engines (or more plausible solutions, for that matter), and instead of self-lacing sneakers, we’re stuck with Crocs, among other sad revelations. Even the Cubs’ presence in the postseason is tainted, as Marty learns.
Not only does the short nail some of the big political and cultural problems of 2015, but it also does a pretty spot-on job of ridiculing current fashion trends that — even when compared to the weird wardrobe of Back to the Future II — seem a little silly.
Still, even a little cold water thrown on the imagined future of Back to the Future II shouldn’t temper fans’ excitement for the original film’s anniversary this year — and the big day coming up. October 21 (the actual day Marty and Doc touched down in the future) will still be “Back to the Future Day,” and there are all kinds of events marking the occasion for fans.
Thus far, we’ve seen Universal Pictures release a faux Jaws 19 trailer, and Pepsi produce a futuristic “Pepsi Perfect” to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Back to the Future. Heck, it could be argued that the Cubs’ current run is just another way to celebrate the film — how else can it be explained?
Honestly, though, we still really want those BTF II hoverboards.
- Exploring the past, present, and future of infotainment technology in the Lexus RX
- Read these 18 epic science fiction books before they’re made into movies
- The Galaxy A90 5G is Samsung’s latest 5G phone, but what else is available?
- Photorealistic CGI product placement ads could soon invade your favorite movies
- Thwips and quips: Ranking all the Spider-Man movies from best to worst