All of the films performed well at the box office, with each earning at least $96 million at the domestic box office, according to Box Office Mojo data. Higher gross ticket sales didn’t equate to a higher ranking on Fandango’s list, though. Jurassic World may be the top earner of the year so far, but it fell more than halfway down the list, landing in sixth place. Creed, on the other hand, managed to secure Fandango’s seventh spot, in spite of its current rank of 27 in domestic box office revenue. Clearly, money earned didn’t equate to fan happiness in this case.
The fan picks were overwhelmingly installments in existing franchises; in fact, only Trainwreck and Inside Out were new to audiences. (The Martian, while not part of an existing franchise, was based on a book.) Helped along by big names, the movies made it work, with Inside Out even setting a record for the biggest opening of an original film ever.
It should come as no surprise that Star Wars: The Force Awakens tops the list, but Deadline reports that almost half of of Fandango ticket buyers (42 percent) said they plan on seeing the film again in theaters. It looks like Disney’s big bet on the hallowed franchise has already paid off handsomely.
In addition to franchises dominating Fandango’s list, two studios made a big statement as well; Disney and Universal Pictures earned three spots each. Warner Bros. managed to claim two for itself, while 20th Century Fox and Lionsgate both snagged one. The latter two did, however, end up in the top three, so they definitely made their presence known.
You can follow our gallery above, or read the complete list from Fandango below to see how the rankings came out:
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Disney)
2. The Martian (20th Century Fox)
3. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2 (Lionsgate)
4. Avengers: Age Of Ultron (Disney)
5. Furious 7 (Universal)
6. Jurassic World (Universal)
7. Creed (Warner Bros.)
8. Trainwreck (Universal)
9. Inside Out (Disney)
10. Mad Max: Fury Road (Warner Bros.)
- Read these 21 epic science fiction books before they’re made into movies
- Wonder Woman 1984: Everything we know about the movie so far
- The best movies on Disney+ right now
- Wonder Woman 1984 review: A superhero epic crammed into a time capsule
- The best Dolby Atmos movies for your home theater