Netflix original series goes international, new show 3% shot entirely in Brazil

netflix original series 3 percent shot in brazil
Boutique Filmes
Netflix is taking things international with its first original series shot entirely in Brazil, entitled 3%.

The series, starring Joao Miguel (Estomago) and Bianca Comparato (Avenida Brasil), is dubbed a futuristic thriller that looks at life’s often unfair, sometimes even cruel, process for presenting people with opportunities.

According to Boutique Films, which is producing the series, 3% will unfold in a corrupt place called “Hither,” where people go through a process to get to “Thither” once they turn 20. “Thither” promises a better life. But they have to get through a series of moral dilemmas, and plenty of danger, before they get there. That’s if they’re even among that lucky 3% who get the chance. Which begs the question: what happens to the other 97%?

Related: Netflix launches in the land of the rising sun on September 2

“Ultimately,” says the Oscar-nominated director Cesar Charlone (City of God, Blindness), “the series questions the dynamics of society that imposes constant selection processes we all have to go through, whether we like it or not.”

Survival of the fittest? A dog eat dog world? A new kind of Hunger Games? It sounds like the program will look at notions much like these in a highly dramatic way, perhaps even similarly to a twisted British horror show, Black Mirror, which is also available on Netflix.

The show, based on a story that was written by Pedro Aguilera a few years ago, will start filming in Ultra HD 4K in 2016, and will debut exclusively on Netflix worldwide later that year. Charlone has signed on to direct the first season, and Tiago Mello will executive produce.

Mello calls Netflix “one of the most innovative networks in the world. Netflix’s willingness to invest in Brazilian content, local talent and creative storytelling is key for our growth as an industry.”

Erik Barmack, Netflix’s Vice President of Independent and Local Content, says he’s “confident that this fascinating premise will be widely enjoyed by our members internationally.”

When Netflix began its international expansion into 43 countries and territories in Central and South America, and the Caribbean in September 2011, Brazil became the first country to gain access. A subscription there cost the equivalent of about $9.10/mo. – slightly more expensive than in the U.S. and Canada, where the service launched at $7.99 (now $8.99 for new subscribers.)

Movies & TV

Amazon's Lord of the Rings series gets an interactive map of Middle-earth

Amazon Studios is betting big on its Lord of the Rings prequel series, which has a multiseason commitment and a budget of more than $1 billion. The series' first season will arrive by 2021.
Movies & TV

The Breaking Bad sequel might air on Netflix before it arrives on AMC

A Breaking Bad sequel starring Jesse Pinkman (and, possibly, Walter White) is on the way from series creator Vince Gilligan, and you might get your first look at it on Netflix, not traditional cable.
Gaming

Feel the love this Valentine’s Day with these 12 romantic video games

In celebration of Valentine's Day, we take a look at games that offer heartfelt romances. From the Mass Effect series to Stardew Valley, each of these romantic video games offers a layered depiction of love and relationships.
Gaming

Feeling bored in real life? Pursue a new persona in the best open-world games

Open-world games are among the most popular in the medium. These are the best open-world games of all-time, including titles in series like Assassin's Creed, The Elder Scrolls, and The Legend of Zelda.
Movies & TV

The best new movie trailers: Yesterday, Tolkien, Triple Frontier, and more

Everyone loves a good trailer, but keeping up with what's new isn't easy. That's why we round up the best ones for you. This week, it's trailers for Yesterday, Tolkien, Aladdin, Frozen 2, and Triple Frontier.
Movies & TV

'Prime'-time TV: Here are the best shows on Amazon Prime right now

There's more to Amazon Prime than free two-day shipping, including access to a number of phenomenal shows at no extra cost. To make the sifting easier, here are our favorite shows currently streaming on Amazon Prime.
Movies & TV

How Avengers: Infinity War’s Oscar-nominated VFX team made Thanos a movie star

The purple-skinned Thanos proved to be a breakout character in Avengers: Infinity War, thanks to the work of actor Josh Brolin and visual effects studios Digital Domain and Weta. Here's how they brought him to life and earned the film an…
Movies & TV

Best new shows and movies to stream: Deadpool 2, The Umbrella Academy, and more

Need something to watch this weekend? Check out our list of the best new shows and movies to stream right now. On the list this week: Deadpool 2, The Umbrella Academy, Lorena, and more.
Movies & TV

The best movies on Amazon Prime right now (February 2019)

Prime Video provides subscribers with access to a host of fantastic films, but sorting through the catalog can be an undertaking. Luckily, we've done the work for you. Here are the best movies on Amazon Prime Video right now.
Business

Alita: Battle Angel’s big opening weekend leads weak holiday box office

New box-office champion Alita: Battle Angel outperformed expectations with its big premiere and positive reviews from critics, but Presidents' Day weekend is still off to a slow start.
Deals

FA Cup: Watch Chelsea vs. Manchester United with ESPN Plus 7-day free trial

Chelsea and Manchester United are facing off in an exciting FA Cup match, with the fifth round - a tie match - slated for Monday. Die-hard fans of English football can stream the game anywhere at any time with ESPN Plus, and here's how to…
Movies & TV

Netflix completes its breakup with Marvel, cancels The Punisher, Jessica Jones

Two of Netflix's last-remaining Marvel shows have been canceled by the video streaming service. The Punisher is done after two seasons and Jessica Jones will be finished after its still-unreleased third season.
Movies & TV

Disney Plus: Here’s what we know so far about the upcoming streaming service

Disney is bringing the full weight of its massive content library to its own streaming service in 2019. How will Disney Plus compare to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime? Here's what we know so far.
Movies & TV

Bill and Ted 3 celebrates the franchise's 30th birthday with excellent teaser

As the Bill and Ted franchise turns 30, a third installment that the cast and creative team call Bill and Ted Face the Music is officially in preproduction, though there are big hurdles to overcome.