Plans for another feature film starring Paul Reubens’ wacky alter ego Pee-Wee Herman have been in the works for a few years now, and it looks like the project is gaining some fresh momentum with the news that Pee-Wee’s big return will debut on Netflix.
Judd Apatow (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up) serves as producer on the still-untitled film, which is expected to begin shooting in 2015, according to The Wrap. Reubens co-wrote the script with writer/comedian/actor Paul Rust.
There’s no word on whether Pee Wee’s return will be a direct sequel to 1988’s Big Top Pee-Wee, the follow-up to 1985’s Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure, but Reubens has hinted that an unidentified filmmaker is already attached to the project. The project was originally expected to be a Universal Pictures feature, but it reportedly moved to Netflix a while back and has been moving forward there.
Netflix recently added both Pee-Wee Herman films and two volumes of the popular Saturday morning television series Pee-Wee’s Playhouse to its library of streaming video content, which seemingly sets the stage for Reubens’ return as the weirdly wonderful Pee-Wee.
- Aaron Paul on Dual, hip-hop dancing, & Jesse Pinkman’s return
- Harrison Ford will star in AppleTV+’s Shrinking series
- The Bubble review: Making quarantine funny again
- Filmmakers slam Netflix feature that lets you binge-watch more quickly
- Netflix drops a trailer for comedy ensemble series ‘Friends From College’