In most cooking shows, contestants cook for a panel of judges who ultimately decide the winner. On Hulu’s Secret Chef, the contestants do it all: cook, eat, and judge. Ten competitors are brought into a secret underground kitchen compound to complete a series of cooking challenges. These contestants are isolated in their rooms with a conveyor belt connecting each room. Instead of a traditional guide, a “mischievous animated talking hat” will act as the host.
Here’s the kicker: There are no judges. The contestants are the judges in Secret Chef. The chefs must score each other’s dishes in a blind taste test. Each chef is assigned an alias, like “Chef Donut” or “Chef Kumquat,” to keep their identities concealed from the other competitors. The winning chef will walk away with $100,000. The food will ultimately do the talking in Secret Chef.
Secret Chef is available to stream on Hulu. Other unscripted shows on Hulu include The Bachelorette, The Kardashians, Love Island, and Claim to Fame. If you’re still in the mood to watch shows that feature food, check out The Bear, a fantastic scripted series about a talented chef (Jeremy Allen White) coming home to Chicago to run his family’s sandwich shop. For a feature film, we suggest Flamin’ Hot, the story about the creation of the spicy snack from Frito Lay.
All 10 episodes of Secret Chef are now streaming on Hulu.
Hulu has multiple paid plans that vary in price. The ad-supported
Secret Chef stems from chef and executive producer David Chang, the founder of the Momofuku restaurant group. The series is produced by Vox Media Studios, Majordomo Media, and Wheelhouse’s Spoke Studios. The 10 contestants are:
- Alexa Santos – Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Anthony Bar – Los Angeles, California
- Anthony Langston – Denton, Texas
- Danielle Harris – Washington, D.C.
- Jazmin Tyler – Santa Monica, California
- Joshua Walbolt – Union, New Jersey
- Leon Brunson – Tallahassee, Florida
- Poonam Ribadia – Brooklyn, New York
- Stephenie Simmons – Seattle, Washington
- Sydney Buck – Queens, New York
Secret Chef provides a unique twist on a cooking competition. Having the contestants judge each dish is an interesting wrinkle. If you believe contestants win certain cooking shows for their looks or backgrounds, that won’t happen on Secret Chef. In the end, the top dish wins as the best food will rise to the top.
- Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish live stream: watch college football for free
- Where to watch Love Is Blind season 5
- Where to watch all The Expendables movies
- 5 great Emily Blunt movies you should watch
- The best horror movies on Hulu right now