The Apple Watch came out in late April, but it’s already getting its first software update. Watch OS 1.0.1 brings several key performance improvements to the wearable, including third-party app fixes, improved fitness tracking, and more.
One of the main complaints early adopters had about the Watch was the poor performance of third-party apps. The update claims to fix the many bugs and slow loading problems that most apps suffered from on the Watch. Issues with Siri are also said to be resolved, emojis have been added, and many more languages are supported on the device, including Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Thai, and Turkish.
Most of the other updates address fitness and activity tracking. The log says that the Watch will more accurately measure stand activity, calculate calories for indoor cycling and rowing workouts, as well as distance and pace for outdoor walk and run workouts.
The update itself is relatively small in size, coming in at just 51.6MB. You can download the update by doing the following:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone
- Go to Settings > General > Software update
- Place your Watch on its charger and keep it in range of your iPhone
- Download the software update
The update may take some time to download, so be patient. Once it’s done, you can strap your Watch back onto your wrist and keep an eye out for performance improvements — especially with those pesky third-party apps.
The first update looks to be a minor one without any huge changes or new features. However, a report from mid-May hints that Apple may have much more planned for its Watch in the future, including opening up more of the OS to developers, so that they can optimize their Watch apps further.
- Apple is done with the $17,000 gold Apple Watch Edition
- This hidden Apple Watch feature is better than I could have imagined
- Have an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch? You need to update it right now
- WatchOS 10 doesn’t fix my biggest issue with the Apple Watch
- Everything new in watchOS 10 — the biggest Apple Watch update in years