Skip to main content

U.S. government to ditch the domain-name business on October 1

ICANN domains
Image used with permission by copyright holder
The United States is satisfied that a private company is ready to take over the domain-name system that is the backbone of the Internet, and said in a statement earlier this week that it will allow the nonprofit to operate the system starting October 1.

Internet users will not notice any difference, as ICANN — the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers — was already doing the work behind the scenes. What it does mark is a key milestone in ICANN itself, which would then operate fully independent from the government. That wasn’t possible previously; with final control over domain names, the feds did have the option to intervene if they wanted to.

While that rarely happened, the most notable intervention was around the “.xxx” domain, which the U.S. (and several other countries, too) put pressure on ICANN to reject. The organization stood down and initially rejected the domain in 2006. However, it reversed that decision in 2011 and allowed .xxx to go live despite continued protest.

Several Republican lawmakers — most notably former presidential candidate Ted Cruz — criticized the deal, writing in a July letter that “the proposal will significantly increase the power of foreign governments over the internet.” The GOP even went as far as to codify it in the 2016 Republican platform.

But supporters of the move see it as the best solution. Both Russia and China lobbied hard to get the United Nations to step in and gain control of the system through its International Telecommunications Union arm. A treaty was in place in 2012 to do that, but the U.S., along with the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, refused to sign it over human rights concerns.

ICANN will remain in Los Angeles, so at least the organization running it will remain U.S.-based. Additionally, safeguards are in place to prevent a foreign takeover. “The community’s new powers to challenge board decisions and enforce decisions in court protect against any one party or group of interests from inappropriately influencing ICANN,” a Q&A on the change reads.

Editors' Recommendations

Ed Oswald
For fifteen years, Ed has written about the latest and greatest in gadgets and technology trends. At Digital Trends, he's…
Email typo misdirects millions of U.S. military messages to Mali
nhs email gaffe button

A simple typo has caused millions of U.S. military emails to be misdirected to Mali over the last decade, the Financial Times (FT) reported on Monday.

The emails can sometimes include highly sensitive data such as diplomatic documents, tax returns, passwords, and travel information linked to leading military officers, the report said.

Read more
Something amazing happened to U.S. smartphones on July 11
The Nothing Phone 2's camera module with the lights lit up.

Something momentous happened on  July 11, 2023: A new smartphone was released in the U.S. This isn’t a special thing, as new phones aren’t exactly uncommon, but it came from a brand that has never released a phone in the U.S. before, and that makes it very special indeed.

It deserves all your attention, not because it’s such a rare occurrence, but because —finally — buyers are getting more choice.
When did it last happen?
Essential PH-1 Julian Chokkattu/Digital Trends

Read more
Is the Nothing Phone 2 available in the U.S.?
The back of the Nothing Phone 2 with the lights activated.

Nothing has been growing in popularity ever since the launch of the Nothing Phone 1 last year, and now that the company is launching its second flagship smartphone — the Nothing Phone 2 — more people than ever before are itching to get their hands on a Nothing smartphone. While there was plenty to like about the Phone 1, the fact that it wasn't available in the U.S. at launch made it difficult to get the widespread attention that it deserved.

Now that the Nothing Phone 2 is here, however, U.S. fans are wondering if they're finally going to get their hands on it at launch or if it'll be regionally exclusive like its predecessor. The Nothing Phone 1 eventually made its way stateside, but it was far from a full-on launch and happened six months after the smartphone debuted for the rest of the world, so fans of the company are hoping that won't be the case with its successor.

Read more