Skip to main content

2,800 new EV charging stations could be running in 2019 thanks to Volkswagen

volkswagen charging stations 2019 43900793  electric vehicle station
amoklv / 123RF Stock Photo
Those gas stations we see dotting our roads may be replaced by electric vehicle charging stations sooner than we think. This week, Volkswagen AG’s Electrify America unit announced plans to install 2,800 EV charging stations across the United States by June 2019. The company will focus first on 17 of the largest cities in the U.S., and 75 percent of these stations will be located at workplaces. The remaining 25 percent will be established in multifamily living areas like apartment buildings.

The ambitious project is slated to cost quite a significant sum — VW has signed on to spend $800 million in California alone and $2 billion across the nation on clean car infrastructure. Granted, this wasn’t an entirely voluntary decision — following the diesel emission cheating scandal of 2015, the German carmaker was ordered to make reparations; this is one of them.

Related Videos

Of course, EV charging stations are becoming increasingly important as the popularity of electric and hybrid vehicles continues to rise. Indeed, BMW recently noted that 7 percent of its sales in the U.S. and western Europe are comprised of EVs, and it seems that nearly all automakers have some form of an electric car in the works. Both General Motors and Ford intend on launching lines of electrified vehicles over the course of the next few years, hoping to give Tesla (which is struggling to keep up with demand) a run for its money.

“One of the biggest barriers to the mass-market adoption of electric vehicles is access to chargers,” Mark McNabb, chief executive officer of Electrify America, said in a statement. But VW hopes to solve for that. In building its new charging stations, the company has selected SemaConnect, EV Connect, and Greenlots to help with installation.

“There hasn’t been a significant catalyst yet for ramping up the number of charging stations,” Scott Fisher, Greenlots’ vice president of market development, told Reuters. “This is an unprecedented opportunity to help create the electric vehicle infrastructure we need across the U.S.”

So if you’re thinking about buying an electric vehicle, sometime after 2019 may be a good time to start looking. After all, with nearly 3,000 additional charging stations available, you will be able to go just about anywhere even without a full tank of gas.

Editors' Recommendations

10 electric cars with the longest range
Lucid Air

Electric cars are becoming increasingly common, but there’s still one issue that new EV buyers run into — range anxiety. Because charging isn’t as easy or as quick as filling up a tank of gas, range can make or break an EV — it dictates how far you’ll be able to drive before you run out of juice.

Electric cars will continue to gain longer and longer ranges over time, but there are already some impressively long-range cars available. Here’s a look at the electric cars with the longest range.
Lucid Air Dream Edition

Read more
Mercedes is finally bringing an electric van to the U.S.
Front three quarter view of the 2024 Mercedes-Benz eSprinter electric van.

Mercedes-Benz might be known for luxury cars, but it also makes vans, and it's finally bringing an electric van to the United States.

Scheduled to start production this summer, the 2024 Mercedes-Benz eSprinter is an all-electric version of the Sprinter full-size cargo van that's already a favorite of delivery services like FedEx and Amazon, as well as camper van converters. While the automaker has been selling electric vans in Europe since 2010, the new eSprinter is the first one aimed at the U.S. market.

Read more
‘The cars are the stars.’ How automakers are electrifying the racetrack
The number 60 Acura ARX-06 GTP race car at the 2023 Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Racing is the soul of the auto industry. It’s the purest expression of the engineering that makes cars possible, and the thing they were engineered to do in the first place — be driven. While it can be full of arcane rules that make government regulations and customer clinics seem like child’s play, racing is where cars are built to be cars, and where drivers are just drivers. And like the rest of the industry, the racing world is now grappling with the need for electrification.

Many automakers have built their reputations on the track, and some are hoping to sprinkle a bit of that motorsports magic dust on their plans to curb internal-combustion engines. Acura, BMW, Cadillac, and Porsche just debuted hybrid race cars in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, a 24-hour race held at Florida’s Daytona International Speedway that’s one of the biggest events on the racing calendar.

Read more