Need something to keep you busy this weekend? Look no further. The Weekend Workshop is our weekly column where we showcase a badass DIY project that you can complete with minimal skills and expertise. We’ve dug through all the online tutorials on the web, and gone the extra mile to pinpoint projects that are equal parts easy, affordable, and fun. So put on your work pants, grab your tool belt, and head to the garage — it’s time to start building!
As anyone who’s ever owned a Nintendo system can attest, jumping into the fantasy land of Hyrule as Link was akin to required reading in school; you didn’t just need to experience it; you had to experience it. Be it the top down dungeon-fest of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past or the triumphant Nintendo 64 release The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, the series is one of gaming’s all-time greats.
While some fans have gone so far as to tattoo the iconic Triforce symbol somewhere on their body, we’ve found a better way to honor Shigeru Miyamoto’s historic franchise: by building a mosaic-tiled Zelda-themed coffee table, of course. Thanks to some skillful engineering by loyal Instructables user Nancianna, literally anyone with a small coffee table, a bag of yellow and black tiles, and some construction adhesive has the ability to construct one of these beauties for themselves.
To help you get a head start on building your own Zelda-themed coffee table, we sorted through Nancianna’s walkthrough to find all the necessary tools and materials needed for the project. So if you’ve got a few minutes to put the controller down and stop chasing Ganondorf through that castle of his (or Zelda’s?), this easy-to-build coffee table is the perfect addition to any Nintendo fan’s gaming den. Here’s everything you’ll need to get started:
- Liquid Nails Adhesive
- Caulking gun
- Grout float
- Grout sponge
- Mixing device
- Large container for water
- Coffee table (this one from Walmart works perfectly)
- 1/16-inch tombstone style tile spacers
- 1/2-inch yellow tiles
- 1/2-inch black or brown tiles
- Non-sanded grout (charcoal color is recommended though you could pick whatever you please)
- Grout sealer
After assembling the required batch of tools and materials, it’s time to get working on Nancianna’s cleverly designed Legend of Zelda-themed coffee table. Simply follow each of the clearly laid out steps over at Instructables and in a matter of hours, your gaming friends will be chomping at the bit to know where they can get their own. Happy building!
The entire step-by-step walkthrough on building this Zelda-themed mosaic coffee table can be found here.
- Save Hyrule by harnessing the power of the Zelda-themed IPA
- Rumbling Nintendo Switch controller tipped man off about tumor in his hand
- ‘Breath of the Wild’ and ‘Horizon Zero Dawn’ lead 2018 GDC Award nominations
- This Japanese-style bench is easy to build and supports butts of all sizes
- Sling your suds in style with this DIY beer caddy made from a pallet