While the eyes of a good chunk of Europe and the world were glued to their televisions for the Champions League Finals, Microsoft and Epic Games took the opportunity to release a new trailer for the Gears of War 3 campaign during the match. Besides the solid number of brains the trailer will have been beamed into, it probably doesn’t hurt that with E3 just a week and a half away one of the most anticipated games of the year will have a bit of breathing room to show off its new trailer before the floodgates are opened and the video game industry is awash in a sea of info on upcoming titles.
Gears of War 3 concludes the current trilogy, and while there may be (read: almost certainly) more games in the future of the franchise, this outing will answer the majority of questions about the current story arc, including the origins of the Locust and the new threat, the Lambent.
As the trailer below shows, when Marcus Fenix receives a message from his father, it spurs him to go hunting for Dad, who may hold the key to the future.
Gears of War 3 will be released as an Xbox 360 exclusive on September 20.
- E3 2022 won’t happen in-person (and Summer Game Fest has already clapped back)
- Xbox Games Showcase: 6 highlights from Microsoft’s E3 follow-up
- Nintendo’s E3 Direct set the stage for a Game Boy Advance renaissance
- Forza Horizon 5, Zelda, and more earn wins at E3’s closing awards ceremony
- The best trailers of E3 2021: Battlefield 2042, Avatar, and more