Technology never ceases to be amazing — and Remote Play is the perfect case in point. If you own PlayStation 4 and have a PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV, Windows PC, Mac, or Sony Xperia smartphone or tablet lying around the house, you have access to one of the coolest features currently available on the PS4. The aptly titled tool does exactly what it sounds like and allows you to play your PS4 games remotely using your Vita, PS TV, computer, or select Xperia devices.
The process is straightforward, but it does require some setup and configuration. Thankfully, we’ve put together this simple guide for those looking to take advantage of Remote Play, along with some basic tips to ensure the best possible experience.
PlayStation 4 Remote Play-compatible devices
|PlayStation TV||Sony Xperia Z3 Phone|
|Sony Xperia Z3 Phone||Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet|
Setting up Remote Play for the first time
- Step 1: First, you will need to enable Remote Play. On your PS4, navigate to Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings, and make sure the box beside Enable Remote Play is checked.
- Step 2: Next, make sure your PS4 is activated as the primary PS4 on your PSN account. To do so, head to Settings > PlayStation Network/Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4, and select Activate.
- Step 3: Finally, if you wish to be able to turn on and access Remote Play even while your PS4 is in rest mode, go to Settings > Power Save Settings > Set Features Available in Rest Mode. Once there, make sure the boxes next to Stay Connected to the Internet and Enable Turning on PS4 from Network are both checked.
How to use Remote Play on your PlayStation Vita or TV
- Step 1: Turn on your Vita or PlayStation TV device and update to the latest firmware, if necessary.
- Step 2: Connect to the PSN.
- Step 3: On your Vita or PS TV, tap the PS4 Link button, and allow the system to search for any PS4 present on the network. If your PS4 is in rest mode, it will automatically turn on. You can also connect to your PS4 with a Vita over the internet if the consoles are on two separate networks, however, you will need to sync the two devices in order to do so.
- Step 4: If for some reason the PS4 is not discovered, there is a second syncing method. On your PS4, go to the Add Device Screen. You will be given a code to input on your Vita or PS TV. This is a one-time procedure — once you’ve input the code, the consoles will sync up and you’ll be able to connect to the PS4 at any time, assuming both devices are connected to the Internet.
- Step 5: Once the process completes, the consoles will now be synced and you can play your PS4 remotely.
How to use Remote Play on your PC or Mac
- Step 1: Make sure your computer is connected to the same network as your Ps4.
- Step 2: Download the Remote Play program for PC or Mac, and install it on your computer.
- Step 3: Plug in a DualShock 4 controller into your computer via a USB cable.
- Step 4: Run the Remote Play program on your computer, and click Start. The program will search for any PS4 on the network. If your PS4 is in Rest Mode, it will automatically turn on once the PC discovers it.
- Step 5: Sign in to the PSN.
- Step 6: You should now be controlling your PS4 through your PC.
How to use Remote Play on Xperia phones or tablets
- Step 1: Download and install the Remote Play app from Sony, or from the Google Play Store. Once you’ve done so, launch the app.
- Step 2: Connect both devices to your Wi-Fi network, if they haven’t already.
- Step 3: Within the Xperia apps, select the search button. The system will search for any PS4 present on the network. If the PS4 is in rest mode, it will automatically turn on.
- Step 4: If for some reason the PS4 is not discovered, there is a second syncing method. On your PS4, go to the Add Device Screen. You will be given a code to input into your Xperia device. This is a one-time procedure — once you’ve input the code, the consoles will sync up and you’ll be able to connect to the PS4 at any time, assuming both devices are connected to the Internet.
- Step 5: Once the process completes, your Xperia device will be synced with your PS4 and the PS4 menu will appear on the device’s home screen.
A few notes and tips…
- For the best play experience — meaning the least latency — connect your PS4 to the network using an Ethernet cable. A hardwire connection will ensure the fastest and most reliable connection possible, especially when using Remote Playing via the Over The Internet option.
- Remote Play has a limited range when using Wi-Fi. This range is undefined, but factors such as the initial signal strength, walls, and other obstacles that rest between the PS4 and the streaming device can all affect it. Signal interference from TVs and phones also plays a part, so try to keep the PS4 and the display device as close to one another as possible.
- Games will play differently when using Vita controls as opposed to a DualShock 4 controller. The Vita’s front and back screens will usually take the place of the R2 and L2 triggers, and the R3 and L3 toggles on the analog sticks, but this can differ between games. Some games, such as Destiny and Fallout 4, feature Remote Play-specific control schemes for the Vita. Be sure to double check the controls, which are usually located in the options menu for most games.
- Although Xperia devices feature touchscreen controls by default, we recommend pairing your Xperia device with a DualShock 4 controller via Bluetooth. We also suggest that you physically attach your Xperia device with a clip-on mount.
- For those playing on a PS TV, you’ll want to use a DualShock 4 to play rather than the DualShock 3 that was originally included with your system. The latter isn’t compatible with the PlayStation 4.