The inescapable meme, Luigi’s Death Stare, has made an appearance in a Japanese commercial for Mario Kart 8, and while it is only 3 seconds of the commercial, it’s clear that someone in Nintendo’s marketing department has been on the Internet at some point in the past month. The fact that the thumbnail for the video is the stare itself is too much of a coincidence.
With a rendition of “You Raise Me Up” playing in the background, the commercial appears to be standard fare with Mario looking determined, Donkey Kong in a mean power slide, even Peach blowing a kiss to the camera. Then Luigi appears, unleashing his icy cold stare on an unsuspecting Baby Rosalina. That amount of menace directed towards an infant? Come on Luigi…
This isn’t the first time that Nintendo has acknowledged Luigi’s piercing glare, and likely won’t be the last. Still haven’t played Mario Kart 8? It’s a solid entry in the franchise, take a look at our review!
- Rev up your smartphones: ‘Mario Kart Tour’ is coming to iOS and Android
- Hasbro and Nintendo partner on Mario Kart-themed Monopoly game
- Nintendo and ‘Minions’ studio partner up for a Mario movie
- Nintendo Switch passes lifetime sales of Wii U in less than one year
- After months of unemployment, Nintendo says Mario is a plumber once again