Avlanche Studios and WBIE have announced that their open world game Mad Max will miss its planned 2014 release, and is now tentatively scheduled for 2015. On the plus side, the devs also released a new trailer for the game, focusing on vehicular combat and specifically Max’s car, the Magnum Opus.
The delay shouldn’t cause too much of an issue, since there was never an official release date to begin with beyond the nebulous “2014” tag. Pushing the game back into next year may also help to raise awareness for it; on May 15, 2015, Warner Bros. film division is set to release Mad Max: Fury Road, the fourth Mad Max film. The movie is helmed by George Miller, the director of the three previous Mad Max films, and stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. The closer it gets to release, the more attention the franchise will likely generate. The game is in no way a movie tie-in, but the timing couldn’t hurt.
There wasn’t a reason given for the delay, but there’s no reason to think it’s any more significant than most delays. In the meantime, watch the trailer below to see a brief glimpse at Max’s ride, the Magnum Opus. For more info on the game itself, check out our E3 preview.
- James McCaffrey, the voice of Max Payne and Alan Wake 2’s Alex Casey, has died
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Gamescom trailer confirms delay, but looks fantastic
- With Redfall’s stumbles, the pressure is on for Starfield
- El Paso, Elsewhere pays tribute to Max Payne with style and substance
- Hogwarts Legacy’s latest PS5 update has been delayed