The Entertainment Software Rating Board, which assigns age and content ratings for video games and mobile apps, posted its description for Resident Evil 7 last week, revealing a few details the developer would have preferred remained secret for now.
While ESRB has since removed the listing on its site, it described the “survivor-horror game in which players will assume the role of Ethan, a man searching for his missing wife in a derelict mansion.” Users will once again welcome the familiar first-person perspective, as they explore the environment with “pistols, shotguns, flamethrowers, explosives and chainsaws to kill mutant creatures.”
The ESRB’s listing went on to describe the “realistic gunfire, screams of pain, and exaggerated blood-splatter effects” during combat scenes, as well as “instances of gore and intense acts of violence: a character’s arm is dismembered by a chainsaw; a man’s leg taken off at the knee with a shovel; a character impaled through the face with a shovel.”
Aside from the gore, gamers should expect the usual explicit language that one would most likely blurt out if they were experiencing any of the above in real life. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the dialogue, the listing says.
As for why the listing was removed from ESRB’s site, the organization offered an explanation to IGN, adding that the initial listing is accurate and was posted as part of its regular process for announcing ratings after they’ve been assigned.
“Capcom requested the rating information be removed,” ESRB told IGN, “and we’re working with them to determine a new posting date.”
In addition, a representative from Capcom told IGN that “We will have more news on Resident Evil 7 soon,” but did not provide further comment.
The long-awaited addition to the Resident Evil series will launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on January 24. “The Beginning Hour” demo for the game is available now, but only on PlayStation 4 for PlayStation Plus subscribers.