The latest episode of The Simpsons riffed on Minecraft in its title sequence. The 30-second intro ditches the usual series of scenes, swapping it out for a Minecraft-style tour of Springfield led by the entire Simpsons clan. Lard Lad, the tire fire, Jebediah Springfield’s statue, the couch gag… it’s all there.
The Simpsons is currently in its 25th season, and it’s the longest-running scripted series in television history. Many believed that the current season would be the last, but the show was picked up by Fox for a 26th season shortly after the latest crop of episodes premiered in late 2013. The show has incorporated video games before, but this marks Minecraft‘s first appearance in Springfield.
Mojang’s Markus “Notch” Persson, who created the game, expressed his feelings about the nod in a pair of tweets. “The Simpsons did a Minecraft couch gag. I’m not sure how I feel about it,” he wrote. “I STILL feel a bit like it’s just this small game I made at home. It’s so weird to have all these things happen. <3”
You can watch the full episode right here.
- Here is everything we know so far about ‘Westworld’ season 2
- From ‘The Simpsons’ to ‘This Is Us,’ these are the best TV couples ever
- ‘Unsolved’ producer worked to find 2Pac and Biggie’s humanity, not their killers
- ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 is coming! Here’s everything we know so far
- ‘Westworld’ Season 2 preview