Philips Hue is probably best known for its line of indoor smart bulbs, but the company has ventured into the outdoors as well. At CES 2019, Philips announced an expansion of its outdoor line to keep all of the areas around your house lit up after the sun goes down. The company added two wall-mounted fixtures and a battery-operated sensor to its outdoor range.
More CES 2019 coverage
- Our CES 2019 Hub: The latest news, hands-on reviews, and more
- CES 2019: Foldimate’s laundry-folding machine is cool, but is it necessary?
- Amazon Key adds keyless entry to garages, Ring devices, and business properties
- Alexa is everywhere: Kohler’s smart toilet brings voice assistant into bathrooms
- Honeywell Home/Resideo smart thermostats now come with remote room sensors
Two new outdoor lights were added to the Philips Hue family, each designed to fit different needs. First up is the Philips Hue Welcome Flood Light, which offers a single shade of bright white light. The simple solution is perfect for lighting up the areas you need to see most at night. Then there’s the Philips Hue Discover Flood Light, which can produce either white or color ambiance light. If you’re entertaining and need to set the right mood, the Discover can add the right touch of light for your get-together.
The new outdoor fixtures from Philips Hue will be available in the United States in February 2019. The single shade Welcome Flood Light will retail for $110, while the ambiance-producing Philips Hue Discover Flood Light will sell for $140.
“Your home is not only the space within your four walls but includes your outdoor areas, too. We saw tremendous enthusiasm for our initial Philips Hue Outdoor range, and we’re now giving consumers even more ways to bring their front and backyards to life with light,” Jasper Vervoort, the business leader of home systems and luminaires at parent company Signify, said in a statement. “We’re happy to expand our Hue Outdoor range, so our users can set the right light for each moment of the day. Most importantly, we’re helping them feel safe and secure at home with powerful lighting options, while allowing them to personalize their outdoor ambiance.”
The Philips Hue lineup is also getting an outdoor sensor. The device is wireless, powered entirely by batteries, and weather-resistant so it can be set up in any outdoor setting. The sensor, which has about a 39-foot range to catch motion, can be mounted just about anywhere. When triggered, the sensor will set off lights — but there’s a high-tech twist. Because of the connected nature of Philips Hue lights, you can use the Philips Hue app to choose which lights you want to turn on when someone passes the sensor. You can set it up to turn on lights inside to make it appear as if someone is home or blast a light from one of your floodlights to highlight whoever is walking by.
The Philips Hue Outdoor Sensor will be available to purchase in the U.S. starting in February. It will retail for $50.
- The best Philips Hue deals and Philips Hue Starter Kit deals for November 2020
- Best Buy discounts Philips Hue Color Starter Kit in anti-Prime Day deal
- The best smart lamps of 2020
- Best Prime Day Philips Hue Deals 2020: The best sales you can still shop
- The best LED light bulbs for 2020