Microsoft has announced the launch of MSN Video Downloads, which will provide daily television programming, including video content from MSNBC.com, Food Network, FOX Sports and IFILM Corp., fordownload to Windows Mobile -based devices such as Portable Media Centers and select Smartphones and Pocket PCs.
Since the launch of the Microsoft Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Center last fall, more than 20 new content partners, including CinemaNow Inc., MLB.com, MSNBC.com, MSN Music, MTV Networks Music, Napster Inc., SnapStream Media Inc. and TiVo Inc., have agreed to make video available online specifically formatted for Windows Mobile-based multimedia devices.
MSN Video Downloads is available in the United States today at http://www.msnvideodownloads.com/. A one-year premium membership to the MSN Video Downloads service with access to all available videos is $19.95 (U.S.). In addition, people can access a limited amount of free content without a paid membership.
People subscribing to the premium service will be able to select the content they want to receive from the Web site. Digital videos are downloaded daily to a Windows Media Player 10 library, ready to be synchronized with Portable Media Centers and other devices. The video content is compliant with PlaysForSure devices that play video, and is optimized for Portable Media Centers and compatible with Smartphones and Pocket PCs that support Windows Media Player 10 Mobile.
New with the final launch of the service is the ability to select the specific content downloaded to the subscriber’s Windows XP-based PC each day. Subscribers can also activate a new automatic deleting feature that specifies how long video from the MSN Video Downloads directory will remain on their PC, thus avoiding a large backlog of clips.
The following programming will be available on MSN Video Downloads:
- MSNBC.com. News and business headlines updated throughout the day, as well as segments from “Today”
- BreakTV. Behind-the-scenes footage and exclusive interviews with television’s hottest celebrities
- COOKIE JAR Entertainment Inc., a global producer and marketer of children’s entertainment, offering children’s programs such as “Paddington Bear,” “Animal Crackers” and many other popular kids’ television series
- DIY Network. Videos about home improvement, crafts, hobbies, indoor-outdoor living, and kitchen and bath remodeling
- FINE LIVING TV Network. Inspiring programs featuring travel destinations, mind and body enrichment, ideas for entertaining and home design as well as videos for automobile enthusiasts
- FOX Sports. In-depth news, analysis and unparalleled national and regional coverage of the National Football League, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, the National Basketball Association, and select college basketball and football highlights, as well as FOX Sports Net original programming including “The Best Damn Sports Show Period” and “Beyond the Glory”
- Food Network. Fun and interesting videos featuring grilling tips, ideas for entertaining, healthy eating, quick-and-easy recipes and pop-culture food specials
- Fun Little Movies. Specializing in original, live-action comedy content; new “Fun Funny Phone Films” including the following series: humorous headlines in “Comedy USA,” sci-fi parody “Spacey Movie,” and the “Mini-Bikers,” where little people on little motorcycles fight crime, a little at a time
- Headliners Entertainment Group Inc. (OTCBB:HLEG), the operator of Rascals Comedy Clubs, presenting a selection of comedy clips from Rascals Comedy Classics, including performances from popular stars such as Tim Allen, Rosie O’Donnell, Drew Carey and Ray Romano; only Rascals can bring viewers comedy superstars, before they were stars, and the breaking stars of tomorrow, today
- Home & Garden Television (HGTV). Selected programs featuring remodeling, home-building, design and decorating, kitchen and bath to enhance a home’s curb appeal
- IFILM. Movie trailers, viral videos, short films and other IFILM-exclusive content
- TotalVid. Deep selection of action sports clips including surfing, snowboarding, skiing, windsurfing, street racing, kiteboarding, skateboarding, climbing, kayaking, off-road, Moto X, mountain biking, inline skating, BMX and more
- Want Media. Music videos, live concerts, Broadway shows, extreme sports and motor sports programs, full-length films from independent filmmakers and underground cinema