CBS has announced the actress who will play the high-flying, heroic title role in its upcoming Supergirl television series.
Glee actress Melissa Benoist, whose character Marley Rose was introduced in the fourth season of the musical series, will play Superman’s similarly super-powered cousin, Kara Zor-El. The series follows Kara as she first attempts to live a normal life on Earth after escaping the destruction of her home planet, Krypton, only to eventually grow into the hero she’s destined to become.
Benoist, who also had a featured role in the Oscar-nominated film Whiplash, reportedly won the part of the superheroine over The Vampire Diaries actress Claire Holt and Once Upon A Time actress Elizabeth Lail.
The pilot for the series was penned by Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family) and Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash), and the show has already earned a series commitment from CBS.
There isn’t a premiere date set at this point.
- 11 Hollywood heavyweights who jumped from the big screen to the small screen
- Make it so! CBS finally gives Star Trek: Picard series a title and official logo
- Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Everything we know so far
- Everything we know about Jordan Peele’s The Twilight Zone series
- Will Smith won’t return for director James Gunn’s Suicide Squad sequel