Filming is currently underway on a new Jumanji movie, and star Dwayne Johnson posted a video from the set of the film that features the deep, dark jungle that serves as his temporary home.
Okay, so maybe it’s not so deep and dark, as the video eventually reveals — much to Johnson’s annoyance.
Helmed by Bad Teacher and Sex Tape director Jake Kasdan, Jumanji is — according to Johnson — more of a sequel to Joe Johnston’s 1995 film than a remake. Along with Johnson in the lead role, the film also stars Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, and Jack Black.
After revealing the first photo of the cast together in costume earlier this week, Johnson hinted that the four actors were playing avatars of the children who encounter the magical board game that makes the jungle come alive around them. Johnson plays a character named Dr. Smolder Bravestone, while Hart plays Moose Finbar, Karen Gillan is Ruby Roundhouse, and Jack Black is Professor Shelly Oberon.
The script for Jumanji was penned by High Fidelity and Con Air scribe Scott Rosenberg, and like the 1995 original film, is based on Chris Van Allsburg’s children’s book about kids who play a mysterious board game, only to discover the game’s dangerous jungle world invading their suburban neighborhood.
The 1995 film starred Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst, Jonathan Hyde, Bonnie Hunt, Bebe Neuwirth, David Alan Grier, and Patricia Clarkson.
Jumanji is scheduled to hit theaters July 28, 2017.
- Black Adam opening scene introduced by Dwayne Johnson: I was ‘born to play’ him
- Disney’s Jungle Cruise trailer is all snake faces and Dwayne Johnson jokes
- Dwayne Johnson posts first photo from Fast and Furious spinoff ‘Hobbs and Shaw’
- ‘Jumanji’ sequel confirms its release date and the return of Dwayne Johnson
- Dwayne Johnson ‘not quite sure’ he’ll be in ‘Fast and Furious 9’