At what point can we start feeling cautiously optimistic about Transformers: Age of Extinction? Director Michael Bay got off to a decent enough start with the series back in 2007, but the second and third efforts faltered significantly. Age of Extinction is still a sequel (rather than a reboot), but with a whole new cast of stars headlining the thing, including Mark Wahlberg. There’s also a bundle of fan service going on, what with the long-awaited arrival of the Dinobots.
The story picks up after the events of the previous films, with Wahlberg’s Cade Yaeger being drawn into a global conflict after he discovers a junk heap that turns out to be Optimus Prime (like ya do). It looks like the alien robots are on the outs with Earth’s powers-that-be, at least at the beginning. The tune seems to change when the Decepticon forces arrive in orbit over the planet. That’s what we’ve gathered from this newly released trailer, at any rate. You also get a peek at some Dinobots as well as a close-up of Megatron’s face transforming into a gun.
Transformers: Age of Extinction hits theaters on June 27, 2014. The trailer suggests that it’s classic Bayhem, so expect big explosions and loud noises this summer.
- Fox moves away from Sega for next Alien game set in persistent universe
- Flippy the burger-flipping robot is now working alongside humans at CaliBurger
- No, an alien megastructure doesn’t explain that mysterious star
- Ridley Scott may direct Disney’s ‘Merlin Saga’ film series
- A word to the wise: Turn a deaf ear to all extraterrestrial data transmissions