Twitter turned seven today. It’s come a long way from Jack Dorsey’s first tweet, and many of its 200 million active users figured out some pretty ridiculous ways to celebrate their favorite micro-blogging site in under 140 characters.
Some were a little on the scandalous side:
Happy birthday to Twitter! If we spent this much time looking at any other 7-year-old, we’d be in jail.
— Casey Newton (@CaseyNewton) March 21, 2013
Some were matter-of-fact:
Twitter is a 3rd grader
— Justyn Howard (@Justyn) March 21, 2013
Happy 7th Birthday Twitter. Connecting people online and disconnecting them from reality since 2006.
— Khalifa (@KKAlThani) March 21, 2013
Happy 7th birthday, @twitter! You are getting up there… but you look FABULOUS.
— Design Milk (@designmilk) March 21, 2013
— TechRadar (@techradar) March 21, 2013
Some took cheap shots:
Twitter is 7 years old today; That means no Arsenal fan has ever Tweeted “We Won The Cup”
— Football Funnys (@FootballFunnys) March 21, 2013
Some got political:
Twitter is now 7! Only six more months it would be eligible for President Newt Gingrich’s child janitors program.
— LOLGOP (@LOLGOP) March 21, 2013
And others were just weird:
Twitter is just 1 in turtle years
— ___________________ (@mat) March 21, 2013
— Jeff Litterst (@DogUnderATable) March 21, 2013
Did you wish Twitter a happy birthday?
- Twitter’s new share tools mean enjoying tweets at any time
- After tightening rules, Twitter faces a new fight against privacy claims
- Twitter checks off last item on boycott-sparked list with updated reporting tools
- Twitter is finally working to purge those bots by limiting mass tweets
- Study shows minorities use Twitter to voice issues ahead of mainstream coverage