Skip to main content

Mars helicopter taking a break due to communications issue with Perseverance

The Mars helicopter Ingenuity will be taking a break for a few days while NASA engineers work out the details of a communications issue between the helicopter and its rover partner Perseverance.

After Ingenuity’s 17th flight on Sunday, December 5, there was a disruption in the radio link between the helicopter and the rover. The issue occurred during Ingenuity’s landing phase, which meant the team did not know if the helicopter landed safely and they were not able to get photos from the flight.

However, fifteen minutes later the rover did receive confirmation that the helicopter was healthy. NASA engineers analyzed the telemetry data available and found that the problem was with the radio link between the two due to issues with line of sight between them. The flight had been planned with the assumption Perseverance would be in a particular location and orientation, but the plans for the rover changed so it was located somewhere else. It was this difference in distance between the two which caused the interruption in radio communications.

In an interview, a member of the Ingenuity team confirmed that there had been an issue, but it shouldn’t be insurmountable. “Eventually, one way or another, we will get much better communications, so it’s just a question of when are we going to try again,” Teddy Tzanetos, Ingenuity program lead, said in an interview with UPI. “Basically we have discovered the limits of Ingenuity’s off-the-shelf 900-megahertz radio link.”

In an update on the official Ingenuity blog posted this week, Tzanetos said that additional information from Ingenuity had been received by Perseverance. “The limited data that was received indicates power aboard the rotorcraft is excellent, which suggests it is in an upright stance, allowing its solar array to efficiently power its six lithium-ion batteries,” he wrote. “However, the same line-of-sight issues the team believes impeded communications at the end of Flight 17 still prevented the majority of data packets (including imagery from the flight) to be relayed back to the rover – and then to Earth.”

The team is now waiting for an opportunity to transfer this data from the previous flight, which it thinks will happen in the next few days.

Editors' Recommendations

Georgina Torbet
Georgina is the Digital Trends space writer, covering human space exploration, planetary science, and cosmology. She…
Russian Soyuz on its way to ISS after being delayed due to electrical issue
The Soyuz MS-25 spacecraft lifts off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on March 23, 2024

A trio of crew members are on their way to the International Space Station (ISS) on board a Soyuz spacecraft following a rescheduled launch spurred by an electrical issue. The Russian Soyuz MS-25 was originally supposed to launch on Thursday, March 21, but the launch was scrubbed at the last minute due to a problem with the launch vehicle.

The launch was rescheduled for Saturday, March 23, with the rocket lifting off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 8:36 a.m. ET. The crew are now safely in orbit and are on their way to the ISS, where they should arrive on Monday morning.

Read more
The NASA Mars helicopter’s work is not done, it turns out
The Ingenuity helicopter on the surface of Mars, in an image taken by the Perseverance rover. Ingenuity recently made its 50th flight.

NASA’s Mars helicopter, Ingenuity, has been grounded since January 18 after suffering damage to one of its rotors as it came in to land.

The team at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), which oversees the Ingenuity mission, celebrated the plucky helicopter for achieving way more flights on the red planet than anyone had expected -- 72 in all -- and becoming the first aircraft to achieve powered, controlled flight on another planet.

Read more
Odysseus lander mission expected to end early due to power issue
moon lander power issue screenshot 2024 02 27 020943

NASA and Intuitive Machines may have made history recently with the first U.S. lunar landing in more than 50 years, but it looks like the mission will come to an end much sooner than hoped. As the Odysseus lander came in for its descent last week, it caught on the surface and tipped over onto its side. Now, Intuitive Machines has announced that it expects the lander to stop communications on the morning of Tuesday, February 27 -- cutting the mission shorter than the week or more on the surface that was originally hoped for.

Intuitive Machines also released a low-resolution image taken after the spacecraft pitched over, showing its view of the moon's surface:

Read more