Though he never stated that it will be available on the App Store, the 84-year-old magazine founder made the following tweet: “Big news! Playboy–both old & new–will be available on iPad beginning in March,” about 21 hours ago. He then clarified, tweeting: “Yes, all the back issues of Playboy will be available on iPad, & current issues as well.” He then elaborated yet again: “Playboy on iPad will be uncensored, Hugh.”
Many were startled by this, as Apple has repeatedly spoken against and banned pornographic materials from its App Store–which has a section for magazines. Our earlier story is here.
Well, it turns out that Hef was either misinformed or misleading. Suspicious, Forbes contacted a Playboy spokeswoman who clarified Hefner’s statements. “We are releasing a web-based subscription service with Bondi Digital Publishing that will give users access to every issue of Playboy both past and present. The service will be iPad compatible and will utilize iPad functions. We also have plans to release a non-nude version of a Playboy-branded iPad app in the coming months that adheres to all of Apple’s policies and guidelines.”
So Playboy is releasing an uncensored iPad-specific website, but not an uncensored iPad app. It plans to release an app, but it will be censored. Someone notify Mr. Hefner.
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Everything we know about the Disney+ series
- Apple spring event 2021: Everything we expect to be announced
- Hawkeye: Everything we know about Marvel’s Disney+ series
- Morbius, the Living Vampire: What we know about Sony’s Spider-Verse movie so far
- WandaVision: Everything we know about Marvel’s Disney+ series